Don’t let your bathroom drain your good Feng Shui luck away
The bathroom, cloakroom, en-suite, utility room plays a significant role in Feng Shui and is a room that is often overlooked. They require particular focus as water represents wealth, prosperity, growth, and circulation of wealth. Good strong Qi (aka Chi) is vibrant and pure, and the germs and dirt that accumulate in the bathroom can destroy your qi especially if you have auspicious flying stars (Xuan Kong) in these rooms. Your good qi can escape or get flushed away through these drains or toilets. Thus, it’s essential to pay attention to this particular room.
A little attention to Feng Shui can make drastic changes to your life. It can improve the flow of money and balance the elements of the house. This will help you ensure it doesn’t negatively affect your life.
How does a bathroom in a particular compass sector affect the Feng Shui of a home or business?
Bathrooms and any wet room should use the reducing or destroying five elements in Feng Shui; this will help to reduce the negative effect that the bathroom can have on a home or business and that particular area of your life, such as your wealth, health, career, relationships etc. Here is a list of the effects of a bathroom or any other wet room can have in a given sector; it should be noted that this is not from a Flying star point of view and you should consult the 2020 Annual Flying stars before making changes.
- North – A wet room in the north affects business, generating income, career and job prospects. Harms relationships at work and presents obstacles to advancement. Add porcelain, ceramic, crystals in here, or even a large beach pebble/stone placed on top of the toilet system.
- South – A wet room in the south affects your reputation, increases gossip. Decorate in blue or black colours to suppress the energy.
- East – A wet room in the east can affect and eldest son, family relationships and health. Decorate in white or red colours and keep brightly lit. Add some candles.
- West – A wet room in the west affect’s children in the house, creative endeavours, fertility can be affected. Use watercolours, elements and themes here.
- Southwest – A wet room in the southwest affect’s relationship, a woman (matriarch) of the home, marriage prospects. Place plants, flowers here and paint white, green, or brown.
- Northeast – A wet room in the northeast affect’s education, decision-making, thought process. Add plants here and decorate with white, green or brown.
- Southeast – A wet room in the southeast affect’s wealth, creates financial loss, bad investments, savings dwindle, harms the eldest daughter. Add metal elements and decorate using white or grey.
- Northwest – A wet room in the northwest affects mentor luck, the breadwinner, man of the house (patriarch); in modern times, this will be the highest earner in the household. Hard for any man to get ahead in life. Add bright lights, decorate in red or blue colours.
Feng Shui Bathroom Principles and Tips
Following these basic principles can bring effective changes to one’s life.
- This is an efficient yet basic rule and also common sense, keep your bathroom door shut. A closed bathroom door is crucial for the containment of the qi in the bathroom. This also creates a boundary for the germs and de-natured energy to stay within the confines of the toilet and not circulate in the rest of the house.
- Always keep your toilet lid shut when not in use. A toilet is a massive drain in the house, and when you flush it, you don’t only flush the evil qi, but you might flush the good qi as well and considered in Chinese tradition to be flushing your money down the toilet. Thus, it’s also advised to close the lid of your toilet whenever you flush so the germs go down the drain rather than float through the house. This also will allow good qi energy not to get drained away.
- If you have a window in your bathroom, keep it open as much as possible for the circulation of bad qi and good qi. If you don’t have a window, you can use plants as a way to clean up the air.
- Have your windows and mirrors regularly cleaned.
- Keep all the drains in your house closed whenever they’re not in use. There are various drain covers in department stores that can help you cover sink and basins.
- Make sure your bathroom is well organized and free from clutter
- Don’t store trash in the bathroom. Some advice against keeping a trashcan in the bathroom. They say it’s essential to take the trash out of the bathroom after you’re done using it.
- Keep your bathroom clean and appealing, and always smelling fresh.
- Natural sunlight is the best. If you have a window in your bathroom, make sure you make the most of this opportunity by allowing natural light to fill up space during the day. Fluorescent lights are distracting and harmful to the nervous system.
- If your toilet reflects in a mirror, it might have double the drain effect. Thus, one must ensure the mirror is covered in such a way that the toilet doesn’t reflect in the mirror. You can place a box, statue, or a vase to hide the view.
- If you have a bathroom or cloakroom (any wet room) by your main entrance door, the wet room door must be kept closed at all times the room is kept squeaky clean. If you can avoid having a #2 (poo) in here, I know this sounds crazy but we have a downstairs cloakroom by our main entrance which is quite common in the UK, and visitors only really use this door and we will only ever use it for a #1 😊.
- You may have read on some Feng Shui websites or books to hang a Ba Gua mirror on the bathroom door, this apparently makes the bathroom disappear, well it is a load of tosh, never place a ba gua mirror inside a home, they are very dangerous and can cause you many problems and should only ever be hung outside a building.
- Avoid clutter in the bathroom; in fact, avoid it throughout your whole home or business.
- Avoid mirrors reflecting the toilet seat.
- Replace broken soap dispensers, towel rails, toilet roll holders etc.
- Avoid leaking taps and water outlets; replace them immediately as they will flush away your money.
You can use a bathroom to your advantage
If you have studied Xuan Kong flying stars or use our Feng Shui software you can use a wet room to your advantage as when you have a #7 robbery star or an argumentative #3 star or a disastrous #2 & 5 star located in a bathroom you should place the appropriate regular and annual Feng Shui cures and enhancers and keep the room spotless and when you close the door you are imprisoning these negative stars and believe it or not this is when you would leave the toilet lid up when you flush to flush away the negative qi. However, make sure you put the lid down after you flush.
Create a calm atmosphere
Your bathroom should be a peaceful space. When we see symbols of beauty and prosperity around us in our lives, it helps channel and internalize them. Give your bathroom an upgrade by giving it a soothing, calm atmosphere that will affect the feng shui and attract happiness and fortune to your life.
- Make sure your bathroom has thick beautiful luxurious towels; they will make it look more appealing.
- Essential oils have a lot of benefits and the reason why we developed our own pure Feng Shui essential oils. They are not only the perfect choice to pamper yourself and feel luxurious, but they also improve the qi and atmosphere of your bathroom and the quality of air.
- You can add some beautiful soaps and candles. Invest in self-care and indulge yourself so that the universe knows what you need and brings that your way.
- Soothing artwork can be used to change the atmosphere of your bathroom. Give it a spa-like vibe with some interesting artwork as part of your decor.
- You can add some dynamic lights that you can manipulate according to what mood you’re in. You can buy switches that have a dimmer option and choose a soft tone when you want to relax while taking a bath.
Cures and remedies
- Bamboo stalks and money plants bring good luck, wealth, and prosperity. You can place bamboo stalks in front of your mirror to double the effect.
- If your bathroom is located in the centre of the house, it is even more crucial to keep the bathroom sanitized and clean at all times. The energy of the bathroom spreads through the whole house. Makes sure you keep the door shut at all times.
- You should never place a deity like a Buddha too close to a toilet or sink in a bathroom or cloakroom; try to place it on a shelf or cabinet away from the toilet or sink.
- Hanging faceted crystals spheres in a bathroom window area perfect cure and enhancer
A few points to remember
If you have a home that has two floors, you’ll want the Feng Shui of the bathroom on the ground floor to remain there. You can restrict the flow by adding rugs to the bathroom upstairs.
Similarly, you will have to find a way with which you can redirect the qi back to the upper portion of your house. You can do this by adding one of these solutions to your lower floor. A beautiful fixture, chandeliers, or a crystal sphere hanging from the ceiling can do the job for you. If you have tall lamps, keep them lit, use tall elevated mirrors, or change the feel of the room with some trendy wallpapers that have a vertical pattern.
Add earth objects like terracotta plants or salt lamps in the corner of the lower floor. You can also add symbols like a tall tree to elevate the Chi of your house. You can experiment with some decorations that suit your taste and bring in elements that face upwards like a beautiful long vase, bamboo plant or a tall statue
If your house is designed in a way that the kitchen is just below the bathroom, the negative energy can consume the atmosphere and damage your health and that of your family members. This bad energy can have a significant influence on your finances. You can use one of the cures mentioned above to solve the problem. If you live in an apartment or a high-rise building, use these cures to cure any possible issues you may face.
Bathrooms are an indispensable part of our lives, and we should consider them as a luxury as there are still millions of people all over the world that do not have this luxury, and personally, I could not live without them. You can change a few habits and improve the Feng Shui of your bathroom, making it a more comfortable place for you to unwind after a long day. These subtle changes will bring about some improvements that will enhance the comfort level of your house, improve the flow of energy, and bring prosperity and happiness.
Other Feng Shui posts that may interest you...
Ditch the clutter & switch to an improved life – Clearing your clutter and making the most of self-isolation & Lockdown!
Ditch the clutter & switch to an improved life! Clearing your clutter and making the most of self-isolation & lockdown. Written by Daniel Hanna You saw something, you bought it, and now it’s catching dust in the corner of your room. Decluttering Guru Marie Condo has stated, “If it doesn’t spark joy, let it go.” […]